Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 952 - The Day Has Arrived

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the MAIN EVENT of the evening. Introducing first, the challenger. Hailing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, this man went in for an orthodontic consult in June 2008, and now, after six tooth extractions, a SARPE that required a half-inch of expansion, a retainer, and three years of braces, he is finally ready for the final fight. PAULLLLLLL KENNEDYYYYYYY!

Ok, so apparently the stress is getting to me a little bit! Hahaha!

But seriously, I am going in for my orthognathic surgery next Wednesday, April 25; just over 3 years since my SARPE. I didn't know how I would react when I was told I was booked. To be honest, I thought I'd be scared like I was with SARPE, but as serious as this one is (more on that in a minute!) compared to SARPE, I was more EXCITED that anything to get the news. I am still apprehensive of course, but am excited to finally have this over with.

The timing could not have been any better, literally. Had the surgery not been able to happen this month, I made it clear I wouldn't go through with it. Not because I'm sick of the wait, I mean, teeth are teeth and it takes time to move them. It is because my wife is pregnant with our first child! She is due in early September, and so I wanted to make sure she would not be dealing with a jaw surgery patient so late in the pregnancy. Wouldn't be fair on her. I let my intentions be knows to my new orthodontic student at the clinic (Joanie had graduated last spring), Heather Ford, and I think she really went to bat for me and got me in there. The program held up its end by getting me in for April, and now I will be holding up mine!

The baby news has really just capped what has been a CRAZY three year period since the SARPE. In between the SARPE and the orthognathic surgery next week, we have bought our first home, I have switched jobs (twice), gotten married (once! Hahaha!), received my Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries (a seven year process which is the topic of my other blog FYI!), and have a baby on the way! Wow. But I digress.....

The surgery itself sounds....intense to say the least. Although I have not officially been briefed yet (they leave this until the night before surgery!), I know this will involve a 3-piece Le Fort maxillary expansion - because obviously the 16.75mm SARPE wasn't enough!!!! - a lift of the maxilla a little bit to show a little less gum when smiling, and some slicing and dicing of the mandible to fix the crossbite and get the jaws lined up properly. Oy. All in all, the procedure is supposed to last 6-8 hours. I report to the hospital at 6:00am the day of, and will be put out at around 8:00am. I kind of like the idea actually - no one wants to wait around all day for their surgery to start.

So I've been spending the last few days pigging out. Based on the fact that I lost 30lbs with SARPE, I'm expecting to lose at least 40lbs with this one. The good news is that I am overweight by about 20lbs (I am 6'7", 240lbs currently), but the additional 20 would put me at a weight I haven't been since being a scrawny basketball player in high school!

I am thinking I am more comfortable (at least so far) with the idea of this surgery because I have done SARPE already. I realize this surgery is SO much more serious than SARPE, but do I realize I will be a bloody, swollen wreck? Yes. Do I realize I will be eating with a syringe? Yes. Do I realize the weight loss will be significant? Yes. Barring any complications, I do have some idea how this will go down.

Anyway, as I did before, I will post some photos of my "before" surgery, and will keep a close eye on my progress post-op. And since I will be off of work, with not much else to do, I'm sure I'll be updating the blog regularly over the next little while. My plan right now is to partially return to work after two weeks by working from home a few hours a day, and then return to the office after the third week. I think it's a realistic goal, but I understand that everyone's situation is different. We'll see!

If anyone out there has undergone the 3-piece Le Fort, drop me a line. I'd love to read about your experience with it!

I'm definitely a wreck right now, but again, it's exciting to being so close to having this over with!

Wish me luck!

Take care everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment