Friday, February 8, 2013

1,107 Days and....DONE!

This post is almost five months in the making, but I finally have the opportunity to announce that MY BRACES ARE OFF! All over with! This happened back on September 21, which was my 1,107th day with braces. Unreal. Just over three years with them on, plus the six months of SARPE, plus the three months of wearing the expander PRIOR to the SARPE surgery, plus all the prep, etc etc. In total, the entire process was four years and four months long. That was the first time I visited the private clinic and the orthodontist - Dr. Metaxas - told me to come down to the U of T clinic, something I will always be extremely grateful for!

Anyway, it was a whirlwind summer! My wife and I are the proud parents of our first-born, a boy named Owen. I couldn't be a happier Dad....it is actually difficult to imagine what life was like before he was around! He's happy and healthy, so you can't ask for much else. His Mom is completely fine as well - she's off this year with him. I'm jealous some of the time, because I have been putting in some long hours at the office recently. When I'm away from him even for a day, he looks bigger the next time I see him! Not only is he our first child, he is also both our parents' first grandchild, her grandparents' first great-grandchild (would have been the same case for mine as well had they been alive!), first niece/nephew for our siblings....I'm probably going to have to keep this kid grounded, because he's going to be one spoiled bugger! And yes, we have already given some thought to how his teeth will turn out! Hahahaha!

He was born August 29th, roughly two weeks after I visited the surgeon for the last time. My bite had been progressing perfectly; I had no range-of-motion problems with my jaw, I wasn't in any pain, I could eat everything.....so I was discharged! I had been seeing the surgeon - Dr. Holmes - since the SARPE, so it was definitely one of those "parting is such sweet sorrow" type of moments. He's an excellent surgeon, but I'm happy I'll never have to see him again - at least in my capacity as a patient.

Then two weeks AFTER Owen was born, I visited the clinic for my regular appointment. My teeth were aligned exactly as they wanted. My orthodontic student - Dr. Ford - was pretty sure I was done with the braces. I was cautiously optimistic that was the case (if you have read my blog, you know that I have some stories in regards to 'timing'!). But sure enough, when Drs. Marko and Metaxas came over to take a look at me, they said I was done!! They signed off on the paperwork and my braces were coming off three days later! For some reason, I thought they were maybe going to come off right then and there, but three days after waiting over 1,100 was nothing!

I went in on that third day, and got the braces off! Unreal feeling. I didn't have much time to take it all in though. As soon as they were off, I went down for x-rays, and then went back up for photos.

X-rays were taken, photos were done.....and so was I! They fitted me with the retainer that will be a major part of my life for the next few months, in addition to the permanent retainer they fixed to the back of my front and bottom teeth, but the retainer is REMOVABLE, so for meals, presentations, etc., I have to say - my teeth look like a million bucks!

Soon after, I had a full examination done with my regular dentist (who first recommended me to Dr. Metaxas over four years earlier!). He was amazed. My braces had caused NO DECALCIFICATION STAINS! None. In fact, he said that he normally recommends a whitening for his patients after braces, but said it was not really needed in my case unless I wanted it because the teeth were in such great shape. We had a look at my x-rays from 5 years ago to now, and he was amazed with how far it has come!

And that's pretty much that! It's been a long while, but I can honestly say it was completely worth it. The surgery - for those of you considering it - is a scary proposition. And I'm not going to lie, the first few days are rough, but at no point was in unbearable! And once the swelling comes down, I have no doubt you are going to be extremely happy with your result, as I am with mine, and as most bloggers who have had this surgery will tell you! As of today, which is almost 10 months since the surgery, feeling has almost completely returned. The roof of my mouth is still a little sensitive, but I have noticed progress, and have no doubt it will be completely back to normal soon enough. Besides, you don't really notice it anyway!

If you have any questions for me, feel free to drop me a line anytime at paulkennedy1982@hotmail.com.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment