Thursday, May 14, 2009

19 activations done!

So I saw the orthodontist yesterday for the first time in two weeks. She said that everything was coming along nicely. She took some measurements to ensure that the observed width of the palate is consistent with what was expected by this point. I also found out that my surgeons performed 4 activations in the OR (=1mm), and so my total thus far is 19, or 4.75mm.

It is tough to say how many more I'll have. Initially, they said 12mm, which would be 48 activations, but who knows? Maybe I'll need more, maybe a little less. It all depends on the teeth.

The appt with the ortho in 2 weeks time will be uncomfortable to say the least. They will be taking my impressions in order to create a new expander with a longer screw. This means they'll have to take my current expander out, take the impressions, then put my current expander back in. In one week from that time, my new expander will be ready and I'll be nearing the maximum expansion with my current expander, so I'll go back in to take my current expander out (again) and replace it with the new expander. Fun fun fun.

I am slightly concerned about the new expander. What if it's not ready by the time I reach the maximum expansion? I'd be kind of screwed (excuse the pun!). I only have 22 possible activations left with this expander. I think the issue is that if you're not expanding every day, then the bone starts to heal which is something we don't want until the expansion is complete.

I think I'm going to call my ortho today just to make sure that the timing will all work out.

Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment