Wednesday, May 20, 2009

25 Activations Done!

We are now past the half-way point. 25 activations done, hopefully only 23 to go. The space between the front teeth is definitely well-defined now, and I can't believe it's going to get twice as big. Still no pain, and still no feeling in my teeth. The swelling has completely receded from the surgery, although I'm told that the entire roof of my mouth is white - I guess because it's all still healing.

There were a few things I was wondering going into the activations that I think I can clear up:

1. Do the expansions hurt?
The answer to this is NO (so far!). I definitely feel some outward-pushing pressure on my teeth when Lauren turns the key, but it's definitely not painful. How could it be? All the nerves are severed, and my upper jaw is separated down the palatal suture. I have heard that if you are a child, and therefore do not require the surgery, it can be uncomfortable because I guess the upper jaw isn't completely separated like those of SARPE surgery people.

2. What is the healing time for the SARPE surgery?
SARPE is an outpatient procedure. They kept me overnight only because my operation was done at around 5:00pm. I was discharged the very next morning. The first few days sucked: Did not get much sleep, nose kept bleeding, meals consisted of Boost through a syringe. Having said that, the pain was kept in check from the painkillers, and honestly, it was quite nice to just lie down on the couch and watch a bunch of DVD's all day long. And after the first few days, the major swelling in the face came down, the bleeding stopped, and 8 days later, I was off the painkillers completely. I took a total of 5 working days off, buit have heard that 2 full weeks is pretty common.

3. Did my facial structure change?
I couldn't believe that my facial shape wouldn't change, but it hasn't (again, so far!). The facial changes will happen during the next operation. I had also heard that SARPE could widen the base of the nose. I don't think this has happened to me. I think my nose is the same size as it was prior to the surgery.


Anyways, drop me a line if you'd like answers to anything else or more clarification on anything. I am seeing the orthodontist in a week to make the moulds for the new expander. Not looking forward to it, but it's gotta happen. I also called to make sure that the new appliance would be ready by the time I hit my maximum expansion with this appliance. I was assured this would be the case, so feel somewhat better.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment