Friday, May 22, 2009

28 Activations Done!

One day at a time. I just finished my 28th activation, hopefully leaving me with only 20 to go.

I forgot one important question from last time some of you considering SARPE may be thinking:

4. So what has eating been like?
In a word, uncomfortable. Eating was impossible for me for the first week. Nothing but liquids fed through a syringe. By the end of the first week, I was having soups, one of which was a homemade meatball soup with the meatballs all broken up into tiny pieces allowing me to have some protein from the meat.

The soups soon turned into soft foods. By the end of the 2nd week, I was having spaghetti and tomato sauce cut up very small so that chewing was at a minimum. Basically, anything that didn't require much chewing was edible.

Although I am able to eat most foods now, it is still painful on my front teeth to bite down on anything. I have to use my molars for all chewing purposes, and even with my molars, chewing is by no means as easy as it was before surgery. My upper jaw is still completely numb, so I'm sure this has something to do with it. Yesterday, I think I ate my most solid food of all so far - a plate of nachos! Sometimes, you just say to yourself that any pain caused by the chewing is worth it. Last night, it was definitely worth it!

Moral of the story is that the eating does come back little by little. It should not be your make-it-or-break-it concern, but be prepared for not being able to eat some of your favourite solid foods for a while! Again, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.


I'll update again next week after I take the moulds for my new expander.

No comments:

Post a Comment